Thursday, January 15, 2009

The "Outhouse" project

This has got to be my favorite project I've done. My parents live in a log cabin, the one I grew up in. Off the kitchen is this little half bath. I think from the time I started painting I was telling them they should let me paint it to look like an outhouse. Finally, a couple years ago they gave me the go ahead. I wood grained the walls (except the existing log wall), wood grained the door and built a wood bench around the toilet. I also wood grained the cabinet and replaced the doors for a more rustic look.



I started by patching and prepping the walls. My mom had already removed the wallpaper that was there.


Once the base coat was dry, I taped of the sections for each board and wood grained them. I let them dry, then taped of and did the next section.
Once the walls were wood grained to look like boards, I added the shading between the boards. I also added some knot holes and nails at the top and bottom of each board.

I followed the same technique for the doors, but also added the "Z" cross boards on the front and back of the door.
I love the way this door turned out. It sure shows how a little shading and highlights can give it dimension. Would you have guessed it's a flat door?
Once I got started, my dad said he wanted a mouse hole too. So, I added a little mouse hole and a mouse... actually, it's a little bigger than I'd like, so it's more of a cute little rat. I'm very happy with the way the room turned out, it fits in perfectly with their rustic decor.

Recently, I was there to paint the kitchen walls outside the bathroom to look like stone. I'll post more on that later.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Yahoo... T this is great! I am going to add you to my blog roll. Love ya!! xoxo

Tracy said...

Thanks Joyce, I think I added you to my blog page too. I'm still trying to figure this thing out. I was cursing you yesterday. lol

pve design said...

I adore the humor in things and this takes the cake, or the "mud-pie"- My Mom loves to tell me stories of when she was a little girl and was so afraid to go out there - to the "out house!"
Welcome and enjoy every moment.
Huge fan of Joyce. She is the "perfect beginning to my day!"

Tracy said...

pve - Thank you for checking out my blog. Many people think it is strange wanting something to look like an outhouse in your house. To me, it really fits with the character of the house, it's a log cabin. Of course I never HAD to use one growing up, I bet those who did have differing opinions. lol