Thursday, February 19, 2009

Preparing for the Business Expo

Lately, I’ve been enjoying the opportunity to create some new samples, refinish some furniture and build some columns.  I’ve been coming up with new things to show at our local business expo. 

Last year was my first time participating in it and I was fortunate to win the price of “most creative booth”.  It was a very nice surprise.  However, I am feeling a little pressure this year to make sure it’s just as good if not better.P2050003

I’ve had the idea of building some faux columns.  I built the base out of wood and the column is pvc pipe.  Here is a picture of it before I’ve started painting it.  I’m testing it out in this spot, because I think I’ll keep them here by our patio door.  I think it’s the perfect solution, because we have no storage room.  They will fit in perfectly with the decor.

My studio has spilled over to the rest of the basement, because I was running out of room.  Here are some pictures of my very messy studio and some of the projects I’m working on.

As you can see I’ve started painting the columns.  I really like the way the actual columns look.  I’ve redone the bases several times, because I haven’t gotten the look I’m going for.  John keeps telling me all the columns he has seen, the base matches the column.  So… after several attempts of giving them a different look, I’ve given in to making them match the column.  I’ll post the pictures when they are finished. 

On the table, the black and white things are banners I’m doing faux finishes on.  I’m going to hang them in my booth.  I’ve got so many ideas of what I want to do, but only four panels.  It’s been tough deciding which finish to choose.  As of this morning, I’ve got one finished it’s black with bronze and gold (unless I add a stencil to it). I think what I’m going to do for the other three is: one as a wall of 12x12 slate tiles.   One is going to be a neutral colorwash, with a gold design.  The last one is going to be girly, but I’m not quite sure what.  I’m thinking purple or pink with flowers and glitter.  I love adding the sparkles for girls rooms.

I’ve also been working on some furniture, this is new for me.  The first table is a coffee table I got from a friend who was selling it at a garage sale.  I’ve always wanted to do a checkerboard on a table, so here is my version of that.  Also, I’ve posted the before picture of the table.

coffee table before

P2040001

Here is another little table I’m working on, it’s still not finished.  It’s getting close though.

P2060006

P2180006

Ok, I’ve still got lots of work to get done before next Saturday.  I better get to it.  I’ll post pictures of my booth when it’s set up.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hi - good luck at the expo - be sure to post the finished products.

It's freezing here too - enough already ! At least we can amuse ourselves inside

Tracy said...

Mary - Thanks for the good luck wishes. I will post pictures when it's done. Yes, there is always plenty to do inside.

Joyce said...

T- it is looking good! Is this what you wanted me to peak at? It is almost over! xoxo

Tracy said...

Joyce - I wanted your opinion on the tall side table. It's coming along though. Talk to you soon.