Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mead’s house.

Here is a project I did for some very good friends of mine.  I’ve known them for about as long as I’ve known my husband.  It’s my husbands’ best buddy from high school.  I’ve painted every bedroom in their house and one of the bathrooms.  Today, I’m going to just show you the bathroom and two of the bedrooms (the other three were just painted, no faux finishing).

This bathroom is one they HATED.  It’s the bathroom off their master bedroom.  As you can see in the before pictures, it had plain white walls, with grey tiles and a burgundy accent tile.  Ideally, they would like to have gutted the entire thing.  However, since that wasn’t going to happen, I suggested “let’s just paint it”.  Our main goal was to make the burgundy tile work with the rest of the room.  Well, what better way to do that than make the walls burgundy.  I applied venetian plaster to the walls.  As you can see, it totally transformed the room.  I also painted the drywall around the tub a glossy black.  I think that made a big difference too. 

This is one of the most dramatic before and after examples I’ve got in my portfolio.  It was a lot of work; three coats of troweled on venetian plaster and a protective topcoat.  Absolutely worth it in the end.

This next room is the master bedroom.  It is just off the above bathroom. We wanted to make sure the bathroom and bedroom colors complemented each other.  For this one, I troweled on a base to give it some texture.  Then, I painted a base coat over the texture.  Finally, I did a colorwash to highlight the highs and lows of the textured walls.  As you can see it really warms up the room.  I just love the way these before and after shots look.  It’s amazing how it transformed the space from cold to warm and cozy.  And it was done with just a little faux finishing….. I love my job!

mead master 1 before

mead master 1 after

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The most recent room I did for them was their daughter’s room.  This was really fun, because I got to do a surprise makeover of her room.  I was told she wanted orange walls and l think they said she liked purple and lime green too.  So, I went to IKEA to find some inspiration. 

I found a beautiful duvet cover and went from there.  I painted the walls a light orange (I felt like it was a big band-aid before the finishing touches were added).  I then painted the ceiling dark purple with a hand painted design in light green.  On one of the walls, I also painted some panels.  The panels were done the opposite of the ceiling, light green background with the design hand painted in purple.

The ceiling is definitely a one of a kind.  My neck was killing me by time I finished it.  If I ever do it again, I will used a stencil.  Oh, who am I kidding.  If someone asks, of course I’ll do it again.  It’s just like childbirth, you forget how much it hurts after awhile.  It looks really cool when you are laying on the bed looking up.  It was a successful makeover, she loved it.

Thank you to The Mead’s for giving me the freedom to “play” with their rooms.  I love you guys!

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Ooooo, I was so surprised when I saw this today!!! It IS amazing the transformation. Especially our master bath. I HATED it before and now I really love it. I take many a baths in their with candles all lit up and it is so relaxing! Our master bedroom was so cold and boring and now when I lay in there I feel so comfortable and WARM!
Lauren loved her surprise bedroom. Her friends think she is the luckiest!!!! It looks so cool how you incorporated all her basketball trophies and plaques! Now if only I can make her keep it clean!! Thanks Tracy. We LOVE your work and we LOVE YOU!!!!!!! You rock,SS!!!!!

Tracy said...

Gayle, you are so very welcome. It was my pleasure. Now, we just need to tackle the downstairs kitchen.

Joyce said...

Yes you did a WONDER-ful job on their home! Very warm and cozy. xoxo